Name Change for Non Citizens

Name Change for Non Citizens

Name Change for Non Citizens

Your legal name in the USA is the one shown on your immigration document. When your name changes you start by updating your SSN, then all other records. The only time you can process a SSN application in a name that is different from your immigration document is if your name has been legally changed after the immigration document was issued. There are a range of acceptable documents which can be used to prove your name has legally changed. The full list of aceptable documents can be found here, some of the certificates that can be used include: marriage (including same sex), civil union, domestic parnership, foreign marriage, foreign divorce or annulment, naturalization, US court order, Canadian issued document.

Can I change my name by court order?

If you're a legal permanent resident in the USA you may apply to change your name via the courts. The process and fees are set at a state level and vary greatly, from under $100 to over $500. Some states can do name changes on the spot where other states drag the process out for over three months. Check with your county court to learn the exact process, fees and turnaround for your state.

This is a different process from non-citizens changing names after marriage. With legal name change you may change any part of your name, all of your names, the spelling or order of your name.

Name Change before citizenship

Legal Permanent Residents (LPR's) hold an Alien Card which is also referred to as a green card. This card lists your name as registered with immigration. This is one of the most important documents you hold. If you change your name by court order you must apply to get your green card changed into your new name however there is considerable expense. We explain green card name changes further on in this article. You may instead choose to delay changing names until you become a citizen as names change can be a free option as part of the citizenship process and you will no longer need your green card.

If you hold a Social Security Number, then the IRS, DMV and other government agencies will only change their records to reflect the name you currently have on file with the Social Security Administration. Ensure you change names with the SSA first. Next take steps to get your green card updated as it is essential when opening bank accounts, applying for a job and more. 


How to change the name on your Green Card

Once you have a court order granting your new name, or other legally accepted proof of your name being legally changed, complete form I-90, Application to Replace a Permanent Resident Card. The form is available as part of your Easy Name Change kit.

At the time of writing it will cost $540 to replace your green card. Note that this is in addition to whatever charge the courts have for a legal name change and it is a separate process. You can read more about a court ordered name change on our site.

If you have had your name changed by court order, you may still travel on a foreign passport issued under a different name, or a LPR card (green card) in the a former name, but you should carry your court ordered name change document with you as you may be asked to prove your identity.

Unless you have a green card in your new name, you may encounter challenges when opening or changing your accounts into your new name. Most companies will insist on seeing updated government photo ID along with your court ordered name change document before they can make any changes. A delay in changing your green card may result in having different names in different places, which makes proving your identity difficult.


What about my name in my country of citizenship?

Passports are issued by over 160 countries worldwide, so we are unable to provide information about name change for foreign countries. We recommend contacting your embassy or high commission before applying to legally change names in the USA to ask further advice.

The laws for name change while living abroad varies between countries. Generally speaking, your country of citizenship may;

  • accept your US court order as evidence of a new name and allow you to change your passport while living in the USA.
  • insist you also go through the same name change process as other citizens from your country. This may be possible while living in the USA, or you may need to wait until you return to your country of citizenship.

Once your passport is updated you are usually able to change names with any organizations from that country. Keep in mind there are millions of companies abroad and all have their own unique procedure for name change, so the only way to know for sure is to contact each one.


The information above is of a general nature and your situation may be different. With the infinite combinations of countries and companies you may need to update, we can't tell you for sure what process you will need to undertake. The only way to know for sure is to do some research in advance of changing names and arrive at your own decision.

Easy Name Change operates in Australia, Canada and the UK. If you have a number of records to update in one of these countries an Easy Name Change kit will provide you with the paperwork and procedures necessary. Just click the country name link above to visit our regional sites for comprehensive name change paperwork.


Name Change as part of citizenship

If you expect to become a naturalized citizen in the foreseeable future you may be best to delay your name change. There is no additional charge to have your name change processed as part of the naturalization process. You may save almost $1,000 in fees between the court application and in replacing your green card.

When completing form N-400, Application for Naturalization, simply tick the box where you are prompted if you legally want to change names. Complete the name in full exactly as you would like to be known in the future. Check with your immigration advisor that your ceremony is conducted in a location where legal name change is facilitated. If so when your citizenship certificate is issued, it will reflect the name change.

Once you have the citizenship certificate in your new name get your SSA records updated first, then your state driver's license if you have one. US Passports can take a while longer, so if you only have one original citizenship certificate, ensure you have changed your name in all other important places before applying for a US passport as your certificate may not be available for a month or two.

Full details on changing your name with SSA and on your US passport is included in our Easy Name Change kit, so you don't need to hunt around for the latest forms. If you have other companies to update, select to receive their name change forms, or ready to send letters and faxes as part of our personalized kit. If any of your companies have a different name change procedure we’ll let you know exactly what to do so you don’t spend hours waiting on hold.


Ready to change names now?

If you want to legally change names by court order, get started by reading through our section on legal name change.  Once you've familiarized yourself with the process in your county, including the costs and how long you can expect the process will take, you can lodge a legal name change petition. When you receive a court order with your name change, Easy Name Change is here to help you get all your identification, accounts, memberships, and records updated.

If you’re legally entitled to reside in the USA you can change your name legally. We explain how.

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalized name change kit
Guaranteed to save you hours, or your money back!
State & Federal agencies
  • Over 200 listings
  • Marriage certificate
  • Driver's license & DMV
  • Passport
Researched processes for;
  • Over 1,000 organizations
  • 12 company categories
  • Unlimited selections
  • Money back guarantee