Marriage Name Change for Non Citizens

If you are legally entitled to reside in the USA and have accounts, memberships or identification here you can have these records changed into your new married name. There’s no separate filing to make it official – simply show your marriage certificate. It doesn’t matter if the certificate is issued by an American authority (such as a church, synagogue, the court or vital statistics) or an overseas authority.

Change your green card after marriage

If you hold a green card (Legal Permanent Resident Card) apply to get this updated along with all your other identification, accounts and memberships. You’ll need to show your marriage certificate and proof of identification. It does not matter if your marriage certificate was issued in the US or abroad. If it is in a different language it should be translated to English. Complete form I-90, ‘Application to Replace a Permanent Resident Card’. This form is available in all our kits. Just select ‘immigration’ from the federal agency listings.  At the time of writing, it costs $540 to replace your green card (filing plus biometric fee). You can expect to wait anywhere from 4 to 18 months for your updated green card to be available.

A name change may be done free of charge at the same time you become a citizen, saving the $540 replacement fee. Some agencies may ask to see your updated green card before updating their records. Though not illegal, you can choose to leave your green card in your former name however it could make opening bank accounts, applying for a job and other identity-related tasks difficult. (continued…)

See how much time we can save you!

1 Select companies   2 Complete forms  3 Sign & send!

Update other government records

Prioritize a replacement Social Security card in your new name. Complete form ‘SS5 Application for a Social Security Card’ online or use the paper form included in any of our kits. The SSA will process your name change request within 3 working days of receiving your request and you can expect an updated SSA card within 2 weeks. Next update the DMV and any other agencies.

All other records

The most time-consuming step is arranging for all your other accounts, policies and memberships to be updated.  No companies link records or automatically update your name, so it takes a while to research each company and complete any paperwork. Easy Name Change can save you hours by providing fully researched procedures and all necessary paperwork for all your organizations! Simply attach your marriage certificate and send!



Traveling soon?

Always be mindful of pending travel arrangements. The name on your flight tickets and passport must match, so don’t change your passport until you have completed any travel bookings. Some organizations may also require a credit card with the same name as your passport. If you can’t complete a name change in all your identification and accounts before traveling you may leave your name as is for now, then go about making the change on your return. It’s also OK to have a green card in a different name from your bookings, just make sure you travel with your marriage certificate in case you need to explain yourself and a passport where the name matches your airline booking.

What about my name back home?

As passports are issued by over 160 countries we are unable to tell you the procedure for changing your name outside of the USA. Contact your embassy to learn more. Many countries will recognize a foreign marriage certificate and be even able to update your foreign passport from within the USA. Be mindful of your US visa and speak with immigration before proceeding as it may need to be updated or replaced when a new passport is issued.

If your embassy does not allow for a name change while abroad ask what procedure is required to have your name change recognized in your country of citizenship. Generally speaking, most western countries consider name change by marriage an assumed name and may legally recognize you under either your maiden name or your married name by presenting your marriage certificate.

You may choose to have your foreign accounts changed to your married name while residing in the USA. Contact each company directly and ask how to change names. Ensure you explain what type of documents you have as proof of your name change, such as a US marriage certificate or updated foreign passport. If your country of citizenship does not recognize American marriage certificates for name change purposes you may be required to undertake a legal name change in your country of citizenship.

Easy Name change operates internationally and we name change provide information for Canada, Australia and the UKOutside of our existing regional sites, Easy Name Change is unable to provide information about changing your name abroad. As there are hundreds of other countries and millions of foreign companies, we can’t provide any further advice other than what appears on this page.

I’m ready to change names. What next?

If you want to start changing names now simply start using your new name and sign all documents with that name. The first place to change names is with Social Security. We provide the form in all of our kits. You probably have dozens more organizations to notify. Browse our database for free and choose all the companies you need! We provide detailed filing instructions along with personalized and ready to send forms, letters and emails. Just sign & send!


Ready to change your name now?