Changing Names with the DVLA

Changing Names with the DVLA

Changing Names with the DVLA

After deciding to change names, whether it’s from marriage, divorce or perhaps you just want a new name, you need to to update all your records. We advise notifying Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) as a priority. In England, Scotland and Wales the DVLA is responsible for driver licensing and car registration.

Collect form 'D1 - Application for a driving license' from most major post offices. You need to return the form with your current drivers license. If your old license has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you will have to mention this in the form. Even if you are disqualified from driving, the DVLA will allow you to change your name. The new driver’s license will be sent to you three weeks after the application. If you live in Northern Ireland, the DVA holds a similar process for changing your name, just check their website.


We recommend making your driving licence a priority when changing names as many other organisations will accept an updated licence as proof of your new name. On presentation of a wedding certificate the DVLA will accept a double barreled or hyphenated name, while some organisations will ask for a deed poll certificate. However, many of these organisations do accept an updated license, saving you the trouble of getting a deed poll certificate.

The DVLA is not the only organisation you will have to contact. Don't forget your passport, HMRC and to amend your Electoral Roll registration. Ther's also your phone account, bank records, credit and store cards, loyalty programs and more. You can either search online for all the necessary forms and procedures and then spend a few hours on hold, or save yourself the best part of a day with a personalised name change kit.


Changing names? It’s always best to start with government issued photo ID, like your driving licence. We take you through the process.

Considering Changing Names?

Save hours with a personalised name change kit
Guaranteed to save your hours, or your Money Back!
Government agencies
  • Passport
  • Driver license
  • Voter registration
  • HMRC and more!
12 additional categories
  • Banks & credit cards
  • Health, home, car insurances
  • Loyalty programs
  • Utilities and more!