Reverting to former name on passport

Full passport renewal fees are payable if you want a new passport issued in your prior name. There is no credit for any time remaining in your current passport. Take care if you have any valid visas in your passport or upcoming flights as they may become invalid once a new passport is issued. Check with the visa issuing authority or airline first.

Even if you have changed names in all other places, it is still legal to travel in a passport issued in either your married or former name. You may choose to continue using your current passport and only replace it once it’s due for renewal.

See how much time we can save you!

1 Select companies   2 Complete forms  3 Sign & send!

To apply for a passport in your former name, go through the passport renewal process. You must present documents to support your name change, which include;

  • your birth certificate
  • a signed statement saying that you have gone back to your former name for all purposes
  • a marriage certificate showig both your married and prior name
  • a document showing you are using your new name (for example a payslip or a letter from your local council).
  • If you are divorced you also need your divorce decree.

If you have changed names more than once, you may also need evidence linking all your names, such as prior marriage and divorce certificates and/or deed polls. Should you continue using a passport where all your other identification documents have changed, it’s a good idea to travel with your marriage and/or divorce certificates so you can prove your identity if required. You may still be able to change names in your passport while living abroad. Contact your local embassy or high commission to learn more.

Making it as simple as possible

If you’re keen to revert to your prior name, Easy Name Change can help. We’ll provide ready to send name change forms, letters and emails. Choose from over 650 UK organisations and get the process for each of your chosen companies in a handy checklist. In many cases you can just sign and send!


Ready to change your name now?