Changing Names with the DVLA

For residents of England, Scotland and Wales, notify the DVLA as a priority after changing names. You need to complete form D1 ‘Application for a Driving Licence.’ This form can be ordered online, or else pick one up from most post offices.

What documents do I send in?

Return the completed form plus your current photocard driving licence and paper counterpart. You also need to provide an original document as proof of your name change. The exact document you provide can vary depending on your reason for changing names. Anyone changing names from marriage should include their marriage certificate. Divorcees should provide their decree absolute AND either their birth certificate or certificate of naturalisation. If you’re reverting to a prior name send in your marriage certificate and a statutory declaration. All other name changes need a deed poll. (cont…)

See how much time we can save you!

1 Select companies   2 Complete forms  3 Sign & send!

More information

Photos should be updated every ten years. If you have a photocard licence you do not need to provide a new photo, but you may choose to have it updated for £17. You must also include a passport-style photo if you have a paper driving licence. Name changes take up to three weeks to be processed. Your updated license is mailed separately from your returned proof documents. The form explains what to do if you can’t return your current licence with your application.

You may instead take your current licence and proof of name change in person to a DVLA office.

Changing names on your V5C vehicle registration

If you’re looking to update your name on your vehicle’s log book, the process will vary slightly depending on which style of log book you have. For those with the new style log book, you’ll need to write your new name in full in section 3 (avoid using initials) and send the entire log book to the DVLA address provided in section 3. If you have an older style log book, write your new name in full in section 6 (avoid using initials), sign the log book, and send the whole thing to the DVLA address provided in section 8.

Need to change names anywhere else?

When changing names ensure all organisations are updated at the same time. Companies have a range of name change procedures; you may be asked to send a letter, email or return a form. Some also need proof sent in too. Browse our database and learn what to send where.


Ready to change your name now?