HMRC Name Change

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) need to be told as soon as your name changes. A change of name often comes with a change of personal situation, so be sure to inform HMRC if your domestic situation has also changed (such as marriage, divorce or civil partnership).

Change your name online

Change your name via the HMRC website. Complete the HMRC name change online form. You’ll need a Government Gateway user ID and password and your National Insurance number. If you don’t have a Government Gateway user ID you can create one as part of the process.

See how much time we can save you!

1 Select companies   2 Complete forms  3 Sign & send!

Who gets notified

Updating your details on the HM Revenue and Customs website will notify a range of departments of your new name, including:

  • National Insurance
  • PAYE (Pay as you earn)
  • Self Assessment
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Fund Trust
  • Student loan
  • Tax credits

Changing your name everywhere else

Along with HMRC, ensure government-issued photo ID (such as your driving licence and/or passport) are among the first records updated when you change names. Next, simply send out your Easy Name Change letters, forms and emails to update all other companies. Each notification lists what proof document to include and is pre-addressed to each company. No guesswork, and no rejected name change requests. If a company doesn’t require your name change in writing, we’ll let you know the exact process so you don’t need to waste time chasing information.

Get the name change procedures and any corresponding paperwork for over 650 UK organisations! It’s free to browse our database.


Ready to change your name now?