National Insurance Name Change

When changing names ensure HMRC is notified. Any changes to your personal details can be updated online and will be passed on to a number of government departments, including the National Insurance Contributions Office.

Even if you are registered for PAYE tax and have notified your employer, you still need to notify HMRC of any changes to your personal information. A change of name often comes with a change of personal circumstances. While updating your name, you may also update your address, marital status and a range of other information. (cont…)

See how much time we can save you!

1 Select companies   2 Complete forms  3 Sign & send!

To inform HMRC of changes to your personal situation, start the online process here. You need a Government Gateway user ID and password and your National Insurance number. If you don’t have a Government Gateway user ID, you can create one when you tell HMRC your name has changed.

After your change is reported

Your National Insurance card will not be reissued as your NI number does not change. Future communication of NI information will be done via letter and will be addressed in your new name. You can continue to use your existing card as it is the number that links to your account, not the name on your card.

Need to change names anywhere else?

HMRC, along with your driving licence, should be among the first places where you change names. Next, it’s up to you to change all your accounts and memberships to your new name. As companies have a range of name change procedures, you may be asked to send a letter, an email, return a form or visit an office in person. To find out what companies you need to change names with, click the button below.


Ready to change your name now?