Married Overseas

It’s a relatively straightforward process to get your name changed even if married abroad. If you have a government-issued marriage certificate from abroad then you should not need any additional documents. If you do not have the official marriage certificate from that country (eg: you have a religious certificate), we recommend contacting the foreign embassy to ask about ordering or you may search government services offered online to see if you can order the official certificate from abroad.

Using your foreign marriage certificate

HMRC, passports office and the DVLA all accept foreign-issued marriage certificates as proof of your name change. You should provide the original marriage certificate in English or Welsh. If your certificate is in a different language then see the section below on translations.

Not every company wants to see your marriage certificate as proof documents are determined by each company. Where a marriage certificate is requested, most will accept a foreign-issued certificate. Many company representatives may be unaware if a foreign marriage certificate would be accepted or not, so if you don’t sound convinced ask to speak with a supervisor.

See how much time we can save you!

1 Select companies   2 Complete forms  3 Sign & send!

It’s best to send additional proof of your name change

Where a company wants to see your marriage certificate, we recommend also including photo ID under both your old and new names. Once a company has seen proof of your updated driver’s licence or passport, they will be hard-pressed to refuse your name change. Some companies need your original marriage certificate, others accept a photocopy. Some ask you to show proof original documents in person at a branch. Read the supporting document requirements for each company, as listed on your Easy Name Change letters and emails, before sending. Where name change can’t be sent in writing with one of our forms, letters or emails, we explain what process to follow for each company in the Easy Name Change checklist. Proof documents are also listed for each company. Mail and email addresses are on each notification.

Does your foreign marriage certificate need translation?

If your marriage certificate is in a foreign language you must provide a translation from an approved translator who is employed by a recognised translation company. For example, a company that is a member of The Association of Translation Companies.

The translation must be attached to the marriage certificate, signed and certified as a true translation by the translator and authenticated by their stamp.

An official translation prepared overseas must have been prepared by a translator who is a member of an official body in their own country or has been certified as a true copy by the relevant Foreign Embassy.

Ready to start changing names?

If you’re ready to start changing names now, just click the button below. It’s free to browse our database and see just exactly who we can help you change names with. We’ll provide the necessary name change form, ready to send letters and emails and all the company-specific name change information you need.


Ready to change your name now?